On My Plate.

In busy periods of life,
people often remark
"Wow! You've got a lot on your plate!"

And yes, it's true as life ebbs & flows,
responsibilities tend to mount up
at some times more than others.

It seems that there is a unannounced level
of obligations & commitments
that we expect everyone to have.

The maximum, if you will,
of things going on
that one person can take on
before they start slacking 
in the others.

Do you know what I mean?

If someone is frantic,
others will always remark
at the level of busyness
that they have going on
and somehow surmise that
"they have a lot on their plate."

Or we offer to withhold tasks or invitations
because we assume that other's "plates are full."

But it seems to me
that not everyone has the same plate.

Just as each of us has different styles, preferences & passions,
so we also have tailored thresholds of sanity.

What's overwhelming to some is exciting for others.

What's constricting to one is ordered to another.

Some of us are better focused on less.
The idea of layers of events & to-do's
leaves us overwhelmed & anxious.

We can dominate and perfect
a smaller list
and that brings a lot of satisfaction.

The absence of loose ends
offers a sense of completion, 
that helps keep sanity in tact.

And then there's the other camp
who walks through life
like they constantly parading down
the Thanksgiving buffet line.

Weekends packed with social events? Of course!
Summers spent bouncing from here to there? Duh.
Homeschool all your children? Oh, that sounds fun.

And while there may not be precision in all of these endeavors,
there is joy found in taking them on
and doing your best at them.

So while I'm trying to figure out
how big my plate actually is
(I fear it may be more like a cafeteria tray),
I'm enjoying the ride
and feeling thankful for a husband & baby
who enjoy the craziness with me.

* * *

This post was adapted/stolen from one of Leslie's about a year ago.
I've been chewing on the idea ever since
and whenenver things get crazy,
I start to reevaluate the concept.

One thing I don't question 
is how awesome Anthropologie 
does homeware.

These plates are kicking.


14 comments:

  1. Love this. I've been tinkering with the size and content of my own 'plate' recently too. We just moved to London ourselves and have been in crazy busy mode for so long that adjusting to new paces and projects has felt a bit weird. Love your thoughts on making it all work based on what works for you individually.

    ReplyDelete
  2. totally relate to this!!! oooh the plate. it's a tough one to figure out!! i am definitely more of the "do less better" than "put 50% into a million things" you know? but having a baby changes all that, doesn't it!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes, I am somewhere in between. I definitely need some down time and quiet time almost every day. But, I enjoy having projects and new adventures. My husband is a go, go, go all day every day and I used to be the exact opposite...meaning, I liked my simple schedule. We have helped balance each other out. He has given me a sense of adventure and enjoyment of trying new things and dropping my scheduled-attitude from time to time...and I help him slow down a little (he has needed that now that we have 3 kids and we aren't spring chickens anymore. We can enjoy our days, but we need our 8-9 hours of sleep at night).
    I think you will see with a baby you just have to be really flexible. There are days where children can nap on the go and days where you can tell that both of you just need some true down time at home. There are no rules to it all. It's just listening to your body (and your baby's). When I was working part time with my first baby, I could mostly keep up with it all...work, play, and sleep. When the 2nd and third came along so quickly, unfortunately I just couldn't keep up the work part. I had to come to terms with it being ok for this very short season of life. And now they are a little older, and I once find myself reevaluating what is next and how will it all work (ie-if I went back to work).
    Life is a constant evolving door...no one size fits all. Just stay tuned in to what your heart and body is telling you. You are an AWESOME mommy!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love this! And I love how quickly the tone turned from contemplative to "Ooh, pretty plate!" Made me smile.
    Happy Friday!

    xo,
    Rachel
    Suppose Anything Goes

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great post! I love the sentiment (and delivery) and I adore those plates! Happy Friday! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  6. This was such an interesting read & a great way to break down a bigger concept. & those plates are all kinds of beautiful - I'm obsessed!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Those plates are gorgeous, and I totally get what you mean about people and their metaphorical plates. I tend to get sad or anxious if I don't have a lot going on, while others remark that just hearing about what I have going on stresses them out. I admit that I often stress myself out by piling another helping on to my plate, but I'd be lying if I said I don't thrive in those moments.

    ReplyDelete
  8. this hits home for sure...we're in the midst of deciding what life will look like with our baby girl, and while the little extras keep piling up, it's all so rewarding for me to work through the to-do list of life.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I am a happier person when I am busy. I get bored way too easily. Now, my life is soo busy. I can barely keep my head on. The funny part is that I am very happy and fulfilled with my life!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love this post. Thank you for sharing : )

    ReplyDelete
  11. I totally get what you mean! PS love that first blue plate.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...