Pack Your Bags: Iceland's Glacial Lagoon


I can't believe it's been six months 
since our trip to Iceland.

That trip was one of the most surreal experiences..

Going into it, 
I really didn't know what to expect.

{Which maybe is the best way to experience things sometimes.}

I had some sort of expectation
that involved Vikings, IKEA & 
a day trip to the Blue Lagoon in my head.

I may also thought I would get to see penguins...
which I soon learned is ridiculous.

{Obviously, I didn't know much about Iceland before arriving.}

While this discovery could have left me downtrodden,
all it took was a day at the famous glacial lagoon
along Iceland's Southern Coast
to fulfill all my iceberg fantasies.







Well, actually...
I still dream of playing with penguins,
but this day was a pretty awesome filler.

Not only is the lagoon stunning,
but you can book a boat tour
through the glaciers
and it... well, it's just stunning.




We were lucky to be there on a beaming day
and the blue of the water and the ice
was slightly unreal...

We felt like we had stumbled upon 
one of the best kept secrets in the world...
along with a really tasty donut & hot chocolate.




It made wearing ginormous life jackets totally worth it.



If you want to visit Jokulsarlon
(which I highly recommend you doing),
I'd pair it up with a day trip along Route 1
to visit Skaftafell National Park
where you can hike to see the famous Svartifoss waterfall
and see the Skaftafellsjokull Glacier along the ring road.






You can book a tour on the lagoon here
and I would make sure to do this in advance
to insure your day out of Reykjavic isn't thwarted
by the heartbreak of sold-out boats upon arrival.

I hope you find yourself floating around
this lagoon sometime in your future...
it's something that is not to be missed!

For other posts on our trip to Iceland, click here.



*all images original to Aspiring Kennedy

16 comments:

  1. I don't even like ice, but after your Iceland post six (gasp!) months ago, I told my husband, "We're going to Iceland."

    And thank you for the email. I very very very much appreciated it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wonderful!
    Even though I am craving for the sun to wear all my tshirts, summer dresses and ballerinas soon, this really makes me want to leave off to Iceland immediately!

    Great post!

    Love,
    Svenja

    Happybluebird

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love your blog, travel posts, and photos! Iceland looks beautiful (and very cold)!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have longed to go to Iceland. Would love to take our sons there. Beautiful photographs.

    Bonnie Rose | A Compass Rose

    ReplyDelete
  5. i don't even know how you spelled all those Icelandic words. i'm pretty sure you just tapped a bunch of consonants out in a row on the keyboard.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is beautiful! I want to see glaciers one day!

    ReplyDelete
  7. These are absolutely gorgeous!! I've wanted to go to Iceland for years! Hopefully this post comes in handy for me sometime soon. And, as always, I hope you, Tyler and the little one are doing well :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Lauren your photos are always amazing! What kind of camera do you use? Do you take it with you into restaurants? I always feel like people look at me nuts when I go into blogger mode and whip out the camera lol.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Lauren, this is breathtaking - it's like another world.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Breathtaking! I feel like ever since I read your first post on Iceland, I've been seeing so posts/bucket list items/pretty pictures involving Iceland all over the web - I'm itching to visit, myself! :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. cannot even say enough about how amazing this looks! my husband and i have been saving for our 10 year anniversary trip (in a few years) to go to iceland and back to some places we love - scotland and ireland :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. I never thought I'd be interested in going to Iceland, but your post has made me rethink that. Your pics are breath taking! Also, I love your collection of kissing photos around the world-- so cute!
    XO, Rachel
    With Love, Rachel

    ReplyDelete
  13. Oh my god, wow!! This is unbelievably beautiful. Love the idea of a trip to Iceland, just maybe one day when I'm a little less sick of the cold?! x

    ReplyDelete
  14. Seriously Iceland cannot even be put in to words. I still can't quite come up with an explanation of how I felt about Iceland other than it is an incredible place!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Wow, wow, wow! Everything about these photographs is beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  16. What a beautiful scene, and I swear you have the most endearing smile ever~!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...