Hugs & Quiches


I'm not really a cook.

I mean, I'm not terrible at it,
but if it's just Tyler & I eating at home,
we typically just eat like a couple of college roommates.

Cereal. Domino's. Kraft Mac & Cheese. PBJ.

Since we both work from home most of the time,
we have a pretty hard time wanting to stop what we are doing
to make food for ourselves.

{Now don't get me wrong, going out to eat is a totally different subject. LOVE IT.}

I've been missing France 
since our long weekend last month
and a quiche felt right with the warm summer temps.

So I rolled up my sleeves and made the classic Quiche Lorraine.

And in case anyone else wants to make one too,
well... now you can.

This is the perfect dish
served with a light salad
with the windows open
and Carla Bruni playing in the background.

{Trust me, I know.}





Quiche Lorraine

Serves 4 people (or 2 fatties like us)

GET THIS:
1 store bought pie crust
5 eggs
150 ml single cream
50 ml double cream (that's about 8 oz of half & half, US. Just replace both creams with it.)
4 strips of bacon (that's "streaky" to you, UK)
1 large pour of milk (about 1/2 cup)
1 onion, chopped
1.5 cup of grated cheese (Gruyere or Cheddar)
Salt & Pepper
A handful of halved plum or cherry tomatoes (optional)


DO THIS:

Put the pie crust in a tart pan like a pie crust should go.

Add some baking beans or whatever you have and blind bake the crust
at 190C/375F for 15-20 minutes. Pull it out when it is a nice golden brown
and let it cool on a window sill like your in an old fashioned movie.

(Or you can just let it sit on your counter. Whatever, really)

While the crust is baking, brown your bacon in a skillet.
Add the onion and let it caramelize. Eat a few pieces along the way.
That combination is a gold medal.

Beat the eggs, milk, & creams together in a bowl. Grate your cheese. Toss it in.
Add salt & pepper. Whisk it all up.

Sprinkle the bacon & onion mixture on the bottom of the cool(er) pie crust.
If you want to add the tomatoes, put them in now, too.

Then pour the egg mixture over the pan. (Depending on the depth of your pan, you may have extra egg mixture.)

Pop it in the oven for 25-30 minutes, until it is starting to turn golden brown on top.

Let it sit for about 30 minutes so everything can set up like it should.

Thats about it.

I'd serve it with a light salad with this mustard vinaigrette
tossed up with some crumbled goats cheese + beetroot.

But then again, this is your party
so do as you please.



16 comments:

  1. I love quiche lorraine, but always thought it would be very difficult to make. Yours looks delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  2. haha, i love it! you always have the best titles. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh I love quiche!! Such a great lunch or supper, particularly in this weather- it's just so summery!! x

    ReplyDelete
  4. Quiche is my favorite - I could sit myself at the table and eat this whole thing by myself. Excited to try it out!

    ReplyDelete
  5. yummmm! quiche lorraine is one of my absolute favorite French dishes! I love that it's so simple - cheese and eggs and ham. bam. you have a delicious quiche.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Looks yummy! It's a wonder why we don't eat together more, we love all the same things!!! I'm going to contribute my GF recipe for a really similar looking quiche, but a crust-less one (yes I know the crust is pretty much the best part, but for us poor folk who can't eat it, here's a way to still enjoy the yummy eggy goodness!). The taste of summer!!

    caramelised onion, bacon & tomato frittata

    xx

    ReplyDelete
  7. This looks delicious, and I totally feel you on the Carla Bruni thing!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Yum, I was in a quiche mood this weekend and made the Pioneer Woman's Cowboy Quiche.

    ReplyDelete
  9. That sounds divine! I am definitely going to try this out this weekend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And yes, a little Carla Bruni "L'amour" is a perfect background song for the cook in work!

      Delete
  10. or, if you're like me... personal pan size.

    Freaking amazing, girl.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Ha! I was just thinking to myself today how college Marc and I eat, is it bad to say that theres some comfort in the fact that other married couples do this too? I'm definitely going to give that Quiche a go. I looovveee Quiche Lorraine but have never taken the time to look up a good recipe - this one looks divine!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Looks absolutely delicious. This is the ideal dish for the weekend ahead I have planned (going to enjoy our unseasonal sunshine while it lasts!). Enjoy the warmer weather there...oh, and there's nothing like claiming you don't cook and then whipping up a gourmet meal in 5 seconds flat - you're a natural x

    ReplyDelete
  13. All I am listening to is Carla Bruni this summer! Also, great treat is a recipe for onion pie(Similar to quiche made with vidalia onions) that Eudora Welty submitted for Southern Sideboards cookbook - she and Katherine Anne Porter had it while in France at a wine tasting!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Maybe I'm weird but the title of this post made my day! I love quiche, so I will be trying this recipe sometime soon!

    ReplyDelete
  15. i love quiche, like loooove quiche. and i want to make this one.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...